Friday, March 9, 2012

Nothing like sisters

You know, there is truly nothing like sisters.  If you don't have sisters it will be hard for you to truly grasp what it's like to not only have one, but to be one.  It can be challenging, frustrating, stressful, and rewarding all at the same time.  Sisters are that person that no matter how mad you might get with them, you would still be right there in a second should she need you for something.
I've been blessed to have more than my fair share of sisters, but I wouldn't give a one of them up for anything. 
I will just share a little something about each one of them starting with the "Oldest" of my sisters... 
Dawn:
She was the "middle" child for a long time.  She is strong (some might say stubborn) and she has a soft side that she rarely lets people see.  I never knew she could be so funny until she got old and now she can actually be pretty hilarious!  Today (unfortunately at the expense of another sister) she pulled one of the greatest pranks of all time.  We all agreed it should be documented somewhere.  I will let Paige share that one with you some time.  It was hilarious!  She has a son who is a grown man now (I told you she was old) and engaged to be married.  She has two bonus kids that have children so she is a grandmother... oh wait, one of those grandchildren has a child so she is actually a great-grandmother (LOL!  She really is OLD).  She works hard (probably harder than she should) and she plays hard as well.  She is married and I guess he is a pretty good fella (just kidding Mark, we love ya).  He has put up with her for a very long time so he has to be pretty good for that alone.  Not to mention our crazy family.
Paige:
She was the baby for a long time and when she was no longer the baby, I've never seen anyone fight for that title harder.  LOL!  Just kidding sis (well, maybe a little).  She has two girls, but unfortunately, her oldest went to be with Jesus when she was 8 years old (Jessica).  She was a beautiful red headed little doll.  She has Jorden (who is now in college, yeah she is pretty old too) and she is absolutely beautiful.  She is smart and should be a model (at least I think so).  Paige too works very hard and plays hard, but doesn't play enough.  :)  She can be opinionated, but I love that, because you always know where she stands.  She is hard on herself about everything and it drives me crazy most days, but I love her.  She is married to a great guy who will crack you up after some beers and music.  He is very quiet and laid back, but get a few beers in him and he has rhythm like no body's business.  They live in NC and even though it's too far for frequent visits we have been known to have wine/phone dates.  Those are actually pretty fun. 
Amanda:
She is freaking amazing.  She cooks like Betty-Freaking-Crocker and loves her family.  She has twins (a boy and a girl, Caleb & Kayla) and a wonderful husband.  They were high school sweethearts (I know, awe) and have been together ever since.  She is very crafty and also a very hard worker.  She has a great balance between work and home which is not easy to do for sure.  I love how she and her husband, Jeff, make time to have date nights with their kids one on one on a regular basis.  Everyone should try and make time to do that if you don't.  Chad and I use to have date night once a week and it was just our time.  It makes for great memories and I know Amanda and Jeff have and will continue to make lots of those.  She too lives in NC and she and Paige try to get together as much as they can.  Hopefully they can find sister time more often.
Janet:
Janet unfortunately passed away at 17 years old in 1996 (same year Jessica passed away).  She was pretty wiry that one.  She was very skinny and in Dec. of 1995 she found Christ and was literally a ray of sunshine all the time.  She had always been so talented with writing poetry and after she got saved she wrote some beautiful stuff.  She is certainly missed.  I often wonder what she would be like today as well as Jessica.  I know they are together and now with Chad having a ball and loving heaven.
Stacy:
Stacy is the baby...  Her nickname is "Bratola" and she lives up to it most of the time!  LOL!  Love you Stace... She is 36 years old and was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  It was a shock to us all, but none more than to her.  There is no family history on that side and to be so young it was just shocking, but she is a fighter and she will not only beat this, but come out on the other side stronger than she thinks she is.  She (like Paige) tends to be pretty opinionated as well, but again, you know where you stand with her so there is no guessing.  I like that.  She will admit she can be lazy and that cleaning isn't her favorite pass time (unlike myself), but at least she owns it.  She is a photographer and a freaking amazing one at that.  She had an eye for taking pictures when she was a young teenager and Chad was really her first subject.  Then he turned around and was her first senior to do and now she is rocking seniors from AR to TX.  She is pretty amazing if I must say so myself.  She has two kids that I call Peanut and Scooter.  They are probably the happiest kids I've ever known.  Peanut is more like her Ammy (me) and Scooter is his mother made over (sorry sis, but you know he is).  They just go with the flow and don't really seem to let much bother them (unless of course Scooter can't play his Wii or has to ride the school bus).... LOL!  She is married to a Raging Cajun, Leckey.  He is one hyper son of a gun, but we love him.  He is a great daddy and those kids can't get enough of him when he is home.  They live in OK now (out in the freaking boonies), but they are close to our parents so that makes it nice. 
So that is a quick description of my sisters and it barely scratches the surface.  The only thing anyone really needs to know is when we need something or we are going through something it doesn't matter what fights we may have had or who might be ticked off at who, we are always there for each other. 
We tried a few years ago to start an annual "sisters weekend" and it just never happened, but I'm challenging all of you (pay attention: Dawn, Paige, Amanda, & Stacy)... we are going to plan to have an annual "Sisters Weekend" and make it like a long 4 day weekend where there are no husbands or kids and we just have real sister bonding time.  I know we have to allow Stacy to get through this cancer and she will, but as soon as she is all done and feels up to it we will be having our weekend.  We all need it and it will be good for the soul.  We could have our own "Traveling Sister's Pants" kind of thing going on that will last as long as we do (and for my sisters, as old as they are, we may not have a lot of time left).... LOL! 
Love ya'll and you always know I'm right here if you ever need me.  And, NO, I'm not doing your baseboards!  I only do my own these days.  :)
From left to right... Me, Paige, Dawn, Stacy

Me & Amanda at Paige's 40th birthday party (a looonnngg time ago)

From left to right... Paige, Me, Amanda (our backsides)... :)

From left to right... Amanda, Me, Paige, Dawn

Me & Stacy after a good sister cry together

Me & Stacy... no clue what we were doing or where we were

Me & Paige at our house... I think alcohol might have been involved (maybe)

Me & Dawn in Memphis after our LIVE interview

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely AWESOME, Tami...now, if you would be so kind to apply my edits I would be so grateful :)

    IF YOU DON'T....I'M TELLING DADDY!!!!

    And, does anyone know a Lola Johnson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are dreaming... No edits going on here sister friend. BTW, you ARE Lola!

    ReplyDelete